Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening




Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Robert Frost

Robert Frost is my favorite poet. Two Roads Diverged in a Wood would have to be my favorite,
but this poem is my second favorite. Why, Do you ask? I love it because you can almost see yourself
sitting horseback, staring at the woods with snow on the winter solstice, just for the sole purpose of
capturing the captivating beauty of the quiet snow falling to cover the woods. He (the speaker) makes it
clear that he has somewhere to be, but yet he stops to take in the awe striking scene. The mood that
frost sets is peaceful and calm, yet mysterious. In the final stanza, the poem brings the whole scene together,

an intense love and awe of nature, a never ending patience and some unknown task or problem that robs the
speaker of rest. The dark and deep woods seem to reflect the speakers mood of tiredness. And the miles to go
before i sleep says that he has a responsibility to do. So, what do i think this poem is saying...
To me, the poem is inspiring. The speaker is tired, but yet h e stops to witness the beauty. The horse
think that is is odd tells me that it isnt something that the driver dies often but that he needs a break from his
responsibilities to have time to himself, to reflect, even if its just for that moment. What i get out of it is that
we need to appreciate the things that are around us. Even if its just for that one moment. We need to spend time
to look for the little things in life and be grateful for them. We shouldn't be so caught up in everything else that
we forget to look, and fail to see the beauty of things.
S
o as this year comes to a close. Appreciate the things that you have, help those in need and look around.

You just might see something unforgettable.


No comments: